Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Feel The Music

So...I just got finished writing my column about how downloading music is changing the social interactions we have with people by going to music stores. I won't go into the details of it because it's pretty long but I just wanted to talk about the actual music stores on here.
We took a class trip to FBC (Flat, Black and Circular) which is a music store on Grand River here in East Lansing. Before going into this store I had never been to an actual music store. I usually go to Best Buy or Target if I want a CD. This place is amazing and seriously, if you ever pass a music store while walking down a street go in. It is such a great experience. There is so much going on inside the store. There is music everywhere in this small room (about the size of a large bedroom). They have records, CDs, and even DVDs. You could honestly walk around one of these stores for hours and never get bored becuase there is so much to look at. It's hard to find something you aren't interested in. Talking to the people who own the store, work there, and are regular shoppers there is also a treat. They each have an interesting story of what music stores and records, even CDs, mean to them.
Going to FBC gave me a whole new perspective on what it means to go out to a music store and just browse. I guess you can browse on iTunes and get certain songs but in a store you get to see the album and look at the cover. It seems kind of stupid but it's pretty fascinating.
The BEST part about FBC is that everything is super cheap. I got a two disc greatest hits album for ten bucks and I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than that at Best Buy. I think it is also fun to know that you are supporting a local music store that has been in the same place for about 30 years. They have gone through so many different things in their time as a music store and the people working there have probably met some interesting music lovers or even just music browsers.
If you're looking for something to do for the afternoon or you just really need some new music to add to your collection take a visit to FBC or find another cool music store near where you live.

1 comment:

Opinion Writer said...

I agree, the FBC is an amazing place. There is music for everyone there. The people are nice there and its fun just to look, even if your not really interested in music. There are alot to pick from.